Friday, February 27, 2009

Bipartisanship politics

During the Vajpayee rule in 1996, I asked my thatha (grand father) and appa (Dad) over our reading of Hindu Newspaper with filter coffee that whether Manmohan Singh would become the finance minister of this Vajpayee government ? My question was straight forward that able men should be given the plum portfolios cutting acorss the party lines. My family taught me that bipartisanship has got no room in politics and governance. In 2009, US President Barack Obama nominated Judd Gregg, a Republican party Senator, as his commerce secretary. Barack Obama, true to his electoral promises displayed the rare sense of bipartisanship among politicans by nominating Republican candidate for a critical portfolio amidst the economic crisis. However, Gregg withdrew his name from the nomination. The reason for his withdrawal are cited as removal of United States Census from commerce department and his voting preferences for stimulus package. Whatever it may be, atleast I am happy to read  and witness a political scene where bipartisanship was momentarily displayed over governance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home